Starting Primary school in September 2016
Free School transport
- Children are only entitled to free school transport in the term following their fifth birthday
Free school transport
Free home to school transport is available if your child:
- is between 5-16 years old
- is attending their nearest suitable school
- lives further away from the school than the statutory walking distances (2 miles for pupils under 8, and 3 miles for those aged 8 and above)
Your child may also qualify for free transport to the nearest school if they are unable to walk for any of the following reasons:
- they have Special Educational Needs
- they have a disability or mobility problems
- there is no safe walking route
Use the nearest school checker to check if your child qualifies for a free transport. Please refer to the School Transport Policy for more details on eligibility.
If you are eligible, you will receive a letter with details of your free bus pass. If your circumstances have changed, please contact us.
Paid-for school transport
If your child does not qualify for free transport, we may have spaces available on some routes. You will need to apply and pay for a place.
Please note if there is no dedicated school bus available, then they might be an appropriate public transport alternative. Please visit www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk to plan a journey. Tickets on these services will need to be purchased direct from the bus or train operator.
Starting Secondary school in September 2016
Free School transport
- If you are eligible you do not need to apply, you will receive a letter on 20 April
- Use the nearest school checker to check if your child qualifies for a free transport
- If there is no dedicated school bus available then they might be an appropriate public transport alternative. Please visit www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk to plan a journey.
- Tickets on these services will need to be purchased direct from the bus or train operator.
Behaviour on transport
The Terms and Conditions of Transport clearly state that pupils must behave well on the transport at all times. In line with this, the Council and Public Transport have published an updated Behaviour Protocol, which details the principles and decision making process that is undertaken by the Council for either suspending or withdrawing a pupil’s place on transport due to unacceptable behaviour.
For enquiries on eligibility and entitlement, please use our Contact Us form
For enquiries on bus boarding and alighting points, discretionary travel, 16+ renewals, bus passes or any concerns in relation to the transport operator, contact:
Tel: 01296 387439 - open 8am term time, 9am non-term time
Fax: 01296 383749
Is there anything wrong with this page?