Registering a stillbirth
When a child is still-born, the doctor or midwife in attendance will issue a medical certificate of stillbirth.
You will need to make an appointment to register the stillbirth and you can do this by phoning either 01296 383005 for the Aylesbury office or 01494 475205 for the Beaconsfield office.
A stillbirth needs to be registered in the district in which it took place and within 42 days.
When you come to the Register Office, you will be treated with sensitivity and sympathy and staff will do their upmost to minimise distress.
Who can register a stillbirth?
- the father, if he was married to the mother at the time of the stillbirth
- a person present at the stillbirth
If the parents are not married, the mother and the father must attend the appointment if his name is to be included in the register.
What the Registrar will ask you
The Registrar will ask you for the medical certificate of stillbirth.
You will also be asked for:
- the date and place of stillbirth
- the name that you have chosen for your baby
- the date and place of birth, the occupation and the home address for each parent
- date of marriage, if applicable
You will be given a certificate of registration and a form for the burial or cremation. A full certificate of stillbirth will also be offered to you for a small fee.
Is there anything wrong with this page?